Jydepejsen’s Quick guide to solving disrupted burning and typical problems, which often occur, if burning conditions are not optimal.
Is it difficult to start the fire in the stove?
– All vermiculite plates and the baffle plate are correctly positioned
– The flue pull in the chimney is adequate
– The firewood is entirely dry. May be measured with a moisture meter (use only dry firewood with
a maximum moisture content of 20%)
– The chimney and stove are not full of soot.
On inadequate chimney flue pull, check the following:
- Whether the exhaust gas damper in the smoke stack is closed
- Whether the chimney clean-out door is defective or missing
- Whether the chimney is blocked by a bird’s nest, or the like
- Whether the smoke stack is full of soot, or soot has built up on top of the baffle plate – check also that it is properly positioned
- Whether the chimney is too small
- Whether there is a partial vacuum in the dwelling (in well-insulated houses, a partial vacuum may occur – supply the room with more air)
On excessive chimney flue pull, check the following:
- Whether the baffle plate is correctly positioned
- Whether the air supply is correct. If you use kiln-dried wood, it requires less of an air supply than normal firewood
- Whether the DuplicAir®has been left open
- Whether the door sealing strips are worn and flattened. Replace as prescribed in the user manual
- Whether the chimney is too big
The stove provides no heat
- the air supply is fully open
- the firewood is wet
- the firewood is too old and dried-out
- the chimney and the stove are full of soot
The glass becomes full of soot
- is the temperature in the burn chamber too low?
- Is the firewood wet?
- Is the air supply sufficiently open?
- Are there sufficient embers?
- Is the flue pull in the chimney adequate?
Use only dry firewood with a maximum moisture content of 20%.
The DuplicAir® should be opened, thus allowing more air for burning.
Water is running into / down the stove
This may be caused by condensation from the chimney, wet firewood, the burn chamber and chimney temperature being too low, or that wet firewood, too little firewood or too little air is used in the burning.
It is not possible to regulate the stove, it burns although the air supply is shut off
This may be caused by the stove not being properly sealed. Check first whether the door and ash pan sealing strips are whole and properly positioned.
An odour develops when the stove becomes hot
This may be caused by the curing of the paint on the stove. To complete this process as quickly as possible, it is important to let the stove become really hot during the first few uses. The paint is not durable until it has been heated up properly. After a summer break, dust, cobwebs and spiders will often have accumulated in the chambers of the stove, which may also cause odours at first use.
The paint peels off and the steel appears reddish or white
This is due to overheating and incorrect use of the stove. It is important not to let it overheat. Read the section in the user manual on proper burning.
Smoke enters the room when the door is opened
May be caused by:
- The pressure in the burn chamber being equalised.
- The chimney not working with the wood burning stove.
- The door being opened when a fire is burning in the burn chamber.
Turn the air supply all the way up for approximately 1 one minute prior to opening the door – do not open the door too quickly.
Check the height of the chimney, which may be too low in relation to the minimum flue pull required by the wood burning stove.
Do not add new firewood to the burn chamber until the previous load has burnt to embers. There must be no visible flames.
May be caused by the burning temperature being too low. Increase the air supply. Or that the firewood is too damp or contains water vapours. Always ensure that you use clean and dry firewood in your wood burning stove.
Black or grey-black smoke
May be caused by incomplete burning – increase the air supply.
The glass turns white
May be caused by poor burning – either due to the temperature in the burn chamber being too low. May also be caused by the glass being overheated, which may happen if burning has taken place while the ash pan was open or if inappropriate firewood has been used, such as waste wood, painted wood, impregnated wood, laminated plastic, plywood or other waste products).
Always follow the instructions for correct burning set out in the user manual, and make sure that you use clean and dry firewood in your wood burning stove.
The stove makes a noise
Cause: When steel and iron warm up, it expands. Weldings are strained and often make crackling noises, which is quite normal. On rare occasions, the sounds are very loud and are more like loud pops.
The Vermiculite plates are cracked
The plates in the burn chamber are made from Vermiculite, which is a customised product, which withstands high temperature and provides efficient insulation. Thus, both the optimum temperature and optimum burning in the burn chamber are ensured.
Cracks are often caused by the material having been knocked by a piece of firewood, or the like. This is not a reason to replace the plates, if it is merely a matter of cracks. However, if they break apart further and parts fall into the burn chamber, they should be replaced.
TIP. Vermiculite is a very porous material which must be handled with care. Additional firewood must be added slowly and calmly. Use a glove.
The door seals are loose/have fallen off
Over time and after use, the door seals become worn and may loosen or fall off. The seals are installed with heat-resistant ceramic adhesive. On replacing the seals, the surface must be cleaned carefully with steel wool or a steel brush.
Marks/scratches on the stove
If your stove has become scratched or if the paint need refreshing, first clean the surface of the stove. Any rust may be removed using a fine steel wool and the stove then painted, using spray paint of the correct colour, which is available from Jydepejsen.